Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Life Lists - Preparing to Kick the Bucket


It finally clicked recently that I ain't getting any younger.  Even worse, I'm realizing that I won't live forever, so I have officially started my bucket list.  I have been coming across information recently on how to create an effective bucket list.  For highly creative, idealistic people like me, it is important to have lists to keep me on track.  But what is even more important is attaching a TIME FRAME to get it done,  otherwise, it never will come into existence.

The C4 Atlanta Blogathon (#C4Atlanta) has prompted me to come up with 5 GOALS to achieve within the next 30 years (Just 5?  Really???).  I won't bore you with my list, but just as an example, I would like to own a motorcycle, an RV and/or a boat.  I guess I am feeling fernweh today (that's your vocabulary word for the day).  The thought of these modes of transportation make me feel free when I see myself using them.  Wide Open Space.  Wind blowing through my hair.  Warm weather.  Free.  That's how I want to feel.

The next task was to come up with 5 goals to accomplish in the next 5 years.  So I had a few repeated items, but that was ok because I really started to see what was important to me.  Setting a timeframe for accomplishment allowed me to see that, yeah I really do want to travel to Australia, but do I really have to do it soon?  Is it really important for me to live by the beach right now?  And if it is, then I better get to work!  I don't have a magic genie in my back pocket and if I want it then I need to make it happen.  You get where I'm going with this?

 Lastly, the prompt asked me to set 5 goals to accomplish in the next 12 months.  Gosh!  Put the pressure on, why don't cha!?!  Twelve months! That means by March 4, 2015 I will have to have become a Motocycle-Riding, Veggie-Loving-Yogi-Art Entrepreneur who is preparing to travel to CUBA!  See what I mean about creative and idealistic? But what the hell, stranger things have happened and the joy is in the journey.

I found this prompt very valuable because as I evaluate what is most important for me as an individual I realize I have to, in this life, do three things:

1.       Define what I value and want in life and go after it

2.       Realize my word must be law...If I want it, I have to get it.  If I say I am going to do it, then I need to start today...no excuses

3.        Keep living, enjoy the process and live like today is my last

So I ask YOU fellow creatives, Have you started your Bucket List?  What is really important for you to do in this lifetime and is there something you can do today to make it happen?

Until next time, I wish you peace, love and creativity!

TeMika

No comments: