Monday, April 27, 2009

So you want to write books for children?

Here are a few tips I picked up at the AACBWI conference. As I said, I'm a newbie in this game and have a lot to learn (I have to try not to tell people that....fake it until you make it right?) . But I got so much from the conference that I'll have to condense this down to key points for me:

1) YOU MUST TAKE TIME TO PERFECT YOUR CRAFT -

If you are an illustrator, draw all the time.....if you are a writer, write all the time. That means sketching, journaling, practicing finished pieces. That ALSO MEANS studying other works - classical and current to "LEARN THE LANGUAGE OF YOUR CRAFT". Learn what is considered quality and what is not.....know the reason why.

I know a lot of artists who don't want to take classes because they think it will ruin their unique voice or style.....I don't agree....I think you should always learn and always try to grow in what you do....your personal style will shine through that.

2) IN ORDER TO PORTRAY SOMETHING ACCURATELY YOU MUST KNOW IT INTIMATELY - DO YOUR RESEARCH!

Creative people sometimes think it has to all come from within, but sometimes that's not the case. Sometimes you may need to stretch outside of the world you know and learn a historical fact or about a place you know nothing about. It's ok that you don't know....it's not ok that you decide not to put the effort forward to learn and get it right.

3) KNOW THE BUSINESS

Although your job is to create, you still need to know the language and have some knowledge of what it takes to get your product to the buyer. Live in la-la land if you want, but cute ideas don't sell books. Analysis and marketing do. Don't get it twisted. It would be helpful if you become aware of other aspects related to contracts, production, book design, etc. Educate yourself and ask questions.

4) WRITING CHILDREN'S BOOKS ISN'T EASY

This goes back to knowing your craft. Just because children can read it doesn't mean it's so easy a caveman could do it! It just means you have targeted a different audience. You may have to use creative writing skills and go back to the technical things you learned in school in order to do it well. Sometimes it means going back to school. Don't be scared to do so.

Once you think you have something good, read it aloud. "Picture books are meant to be read aloud" as Sarah told us at the conference. She made a simple point but I think I have made that very mistake in the past. Unfortunately, an editor who reviewed my very first written work at another conference pointed out a blazing error in a group of 10 people....I was highly embarrased, but it this goes directly to Sarah's point. Read it aloud again and again.....then have someone else read it aloud. Have it critiqued by someone who is a pro. This excludes friends and family members (unless they are an editor). They love you no matter what you do....so they don't count when it comes to selling books.

5) BE REALISTIC WHEN IT COMES TO SALES

Ok. So this was a real eye-opener for me. Don't ask me why, but for some reason I thought that once I get published, I'll have this brand new career, a brand new life, and lot of money and free time to be my creative self. The thing that would make that happen is lots of sales, right? Well, let's be real.....

....mind-blowing sales are not the norm. Harry Potter and some of the other well-known titles just are not what everyone will see, just because they become a published author. Good Sales on a book may be 10,ooo to 12,000 in hardcover and 20,000 - 25,000 on paperback. When Sarah told us that I was like "oh...wow..." (in a depressed kind of way).

But then at that same moment I also felt a sense of relief. Now, I can be realistic and just do my best without the stress of saying, "I have to be the next Kadir Nelson" (since I'm most interested in the illustration right now). I can strive to be my best, but if I only get to the "good mark" then that's still ok. If I go beyond, that great.

What's even more important than the sales, is that I can help a little person see something in a book that I didn't see when I was growing up. I may spark something in them that moves them in a positive direction. That is really what is most important. When you take the "big-success" factor out of it, the part of being a positive influence rings even louder in my head. (now that's freedom)

2 comments:

Karen Strong said...

TeMika, so glad that I finally got to meet you in person. You have great talent with your art and I can't wait to see what your future holds. So glad you enjoyed the conference!

nicbrek said...

Hi TeMika, It was great meeting you at the conference. Thanks for sharing these tips. It was a good read.